Saturday, June 02, 2007

My First Bike?


This photo was taken around 1975 when I was 10 years old. Mom and Dad would be about 57. I had never seen it before Anita copied the original and gave it to me framed this year.

Someone told me this bike was purple, but the picture makes it look pink. I think it was some combination of the two and I may have inherited it from an older sibling or perhaps our neighbor, Robert Alarcon, built it from parts. I don't really remember it well. Might this have been my first bike? Unfortunately you can barely see that it had the classic banana seat. No complicated brakes or shifters. Just one gear and if you wanted to stop you peddled backwards (this is actually quite popular now, called fixed gear or single-speed bikes with no brakes).

I love this picture, because it brings back a time when most of what I did was ride around town on a bike and hang out. No real worries. Soon I would be working (at age 11).

Now I ride a 20-speed made of full carbon, with racing tires and all the gadgets one could own. Life was simpler then.

I often remember Mom looking like she does here, a bit heavier with the old fashioned glasses and always a comforting. When looking closer, I'm surprised at her clever hoop earrings. Dad looks like the night before might have been a rare poker night at our house. My checkered pants are also a sign of the times.

Anyway, as I embark on yet another journey (AIDS/LifeCycle) tomorrow, I will recall these more freeing times on my bike and remember Mom who I am riding in honor of this year.

Stay tuned for more on The Ride when I return to SF June 11.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rick -- Got teary eyed reading this one. Don't remember that picture either. I see myself, Cefe & Bonny in this picture of Mom around our age. You look so cute and look a bit like Carson. Happy to hear you are riding in memory of Mom who will be your special guardian angel watching over you. Mom was/is so proud of you...your independence and fun! Thought of Mom so much last weekend, especially on the side of the house where she would pick tomatoes, pull weeds, and tidy up the area. My wishes for you are to have 1) a safe ride with no injuries; 2) an exciting BD!; 3) a massage; 4) some inspirational moments; 5) met new friends; and 6) a memorable, fulfilling ride! Look forward to hearing you thru Pinger, seeing the pictures and the stories...always the stories!
I Love You,
Maria

Anonymous said...

I will send you full picture, because I think I cropped this one, but the banana seat is for sure 70's. We wish you all our love and see you at the end....
I love you too,
Anita

Anonymous said...

This is pretty funny, because I think I had the same exact bike around the same time as you.

It was a purple/pink bike with a white sparkled bannana seat. The funky handlebars were exactly the same. I think my parents got mine at the Rocks Flea Market or someplace like that.

This brought back memories of me riding around the neighborhood in Salinas telling the other kids to, "Eat My Dust!!!"

Banana Seats Rule!!!

Butch

Anonymous said...

Butch,
That is so funny! I printed this picture out and am putting it on a shirt so when Rick comes in he can see it.

Hope to see you soon,
Anita