Sunday, June 01, 2008

AIDS LifeCycle 7 starts TODAY!



It's the first Sunday in June and that can only mean one thing. Today is the start of AIDS/LifeCycle. I'm off and riding in a matter of minutes after Gia drops me off at the Cow Palace. Even though this is my fourth years, there are still nerves and excitement. I've prepared by body, my bike and my baggage...there little more to do. Oh yeah, but ride 545 miles to Los Angeles. Truth be told, it's going to be great. It always is. And when one keeps in mind others who are suffering from HIV and AIDS, a little discomfort like using port-a-potties and setting up tents and having sore muscles and rising at 4:30am, isn't all that hard.

I wanted to make one final post in order to THANK all my supporters, those who have done so financially and emotionally. I especially want to thank Gia, my fiancee, who I am dedicating this years ride to - for all her support at home. She's been terrific - even in the midst of wedding planning. And she'll be with me on my birthday in Los Angeles and a few days after when we spend the weekend there. I'm so impressed by my group of donors that it's garnered me speechless - which is hard to do.

I dropped off my bike and did orientation Saturday, and it was so great to see old friends. Especially those from out of the Bay Area, whom I only see annually. Gia and I had a glorious dinner last night at a nice Italian restaurant with our neighbors.

If you would like to keep track of ALC 7 go to: http://experience.aidslifecycle.org/2008/support/

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's 8am, and Rick is well on his way to L.A. It was great to see him and the other 3,000 riders or so. It is amazing to think that all these people are riding for the sake of others. Go Rick!

Jim Kline said...

You are younger and in MUCH better physical shape than I was when I did my own cross-country ride. I have no doubt you can meet your goal, and I commend you for your effort. Good luck, and have a safe and successful ride!

Rick Warren said...

Jim Kline,
Thanks for your encouragement. The Ride went well. But, who are you? Did you just happen to do a search and find my blog?

Jim Kline said...

Yes, I often click on the links from my own profile to see who else has similar interests. If you click on any of my posts made this month, you'll see highlights of my own cross-country ride in 2002.

Glad to hear the ride went well!