Sunday, September 17, 2006

Ride #1: Mill Valley Coffee Run/BBQ

Sue, Russ, Jeanne, Lilia, David, Mark, Kate, Kurt, Kim, Courtney, Julie, Rowdy, Emily, Hillary and Susan. Just a handful of ol' friends I got to see on the BBQ/Thank You ride this Saturday. Seeing all those familiar faces, whom I missed since last June, was such a comforting way to "start" the season. Officially we'll kick off the season in mid-October, and I may not ride too regularly until November, truth be told. After 2 years of training for 6-9 months each year I've determined that 6 is about enough for me. I recommend more for newbies, and especially those who don't ride a bike to commute or are just beginning to ride period. Two such young women I came to know yesterday when Russ introduced me joking, "Rick, you like pretty women - why don't you meet these two young ladies." Turns out Britney and Ilene were in fact as new as can be. Neither of them really having ridden a bike much, they were embarking on the beginning of what is sure to be an incredible journey. One that takes courage, strength, perserverance, fundraising, money and the ability to down right enjoy yourself. Britney is the more outgoing of the two, and was riding a gorgeous new road bike that she had purchased awhile back but hadn't ridden much. Ilene was on a slightly old school road bike that I believe she enherited from a friend. Her bike failed her toward the end of the 20 mile journey, when her peddle came off. Fortunately I was able to adise a visit to Mike's Bikes, as it happened right in front of there. Her part was rare and not available in the store but after some debate the mechanic rigged a shorter crank. We soon nicknamed her "I-Lean" and we were on our way over the Golden Gate Bridge once again, just in time for the BBQ and meeting up with old (and new) friends with hotdog, hamburgers and a raffle to boot.

No comments: