Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Amari is 1/2 year old!

One of my best friends is my own nephew, Alton. Most of the family still call him Altie. I call him "D." Don't ask why, but I think it's derived from the nickname Altie D. At only 5 years younger than me (yes, I was an Uncle at 5) we are more peers than not. Through all our lives we've lived about 100 miles or more from each other, except for a time when he was in "The Bay" as he likes to call it. Through all our years of growing up, trips to tahoe, the great bike tour (with his Dad David in 1984), good and not-as-memorable relationships, young adulthood and now - we've remained close. Now that Altie has a son, Amari, it is a great pleasure to see him so happy to be a father and for me to share in that joy. I can hardly believe I'm a Great Uncle for the second time. My other nephew Brian has a girl, Jade, and they live in Lanai, Hawaii. Altie told me today, "I think it would do me some good to get away and talk to one of my best friends in the world." Here's to more good times and to Amari on the occassion of his 1/2 year Birthday...which is today. These pictures were taken a few weeks ago by Peggy in her backyard:






4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rick,
really sweet story about you and Mew
and darling photos of you and Mew-2.
Love,
SisterS

Anonymous said...

Great Pictures! Love the story too.
Love,
Nini

Anonymous said...

Rick, Loved your words about Altie and Amari. When I first saw Amari in Hollister Altie put him down in his car seat Amari smiled at me and reached out his arms to me. Mom had just died and it was so emotional for me to pick him up aand hold him. Also a sweet moment on the day we buried Mama. Altie had just left and I was talking to Brian. He excused himself to answer his cell. It turned out Altie had texted "I Love You" So sweet and the next generation reaches out. Love, Joey

Anonymous said...

Rick,
I love these sweet pics of you and Amari. He seems so in tune with you, and I love the smiles!
Love,
'Ria