Sunday, May 13, 2007

Seven Sisters!

On Friday I was pleased to be able to take the day off before working an evening concert. I used it wisely, to tackle what would be the hardest training ride of the season, Seven Sisters, a notorious ride up Mount Tamalpais which I did last year. Known for its brutal switch backs and grueling ascent, and that's before you even get to the Seven Sisters (7 consecutive hills). They can be difficult and wonderful, sometimes at the same time.

Here's what I got to thinking as I ascended each of them:

1 (Peggy), pretty easy-going, not especially difficult to comprehend I was honest and open to it, which helped.

2 (Bonny), got to talking on it and before you knew it time had passed. One would be wise to listen carefully to this sister.

3 (Susy), challenging at times but you ought to be smart on it. You could learn alot on this one.

4 (Cefe), lot's more talking and plenty of laughing, I think the bike was even jiggling a bit.

5 (Maria), notorious hill, full of personality and fun all at the same time...could also be an emotional climb.

6 (Josefa), I felt I had "called" upon this one many times over. The tallest of the hills.

7 (Anita), after quite a gap this hill was not too difficult to compehend. I felt quite comfortable with this final one.

[Dear Actual 7 Sisters: I welcome your comments or remarks on 5 brothers-below]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course you feel comfortable on Anita...she's the best one. YOUR favorite sister...ha! ha!
Love this analogy just as you did last year too. Keep riding, but don't ride 5 Brothers Mountain.
-Anita

Anonymous said...

Halarious, I laughed at your sister and hill analogies. I think I understood all them all. I particularly enjoyed your bike jiggling on the Cefe hill. So funny. Should I attempt the 5 brothers rif? On your trek over 5 brothers mountain: Ken always knows the score; Sean will coach and wax philosophical; Wander in wondrous nature with Kevin; Peter can handle the snows and keep you laughing; Rick will be happy to lead and inspire with energy, verve and vitality!
VSS

Anonymous said...

Very clever Rick! Thanks for the compliments and I'm taking "emotional" this year, over last year's "bitchy" better. I love that you have this blog. Congrats on the 7 sisters ride which although difficult at times, also inspiring and supportive of your upcoming BIG RIDE! Vin did a good job on 5 Bros., but if you come up with a different version, that'd be cool too.
Ridge

Anonymous said...

I just about agree with all the sister analogies and appreciate being the first easy-going one. I remember David doing that ride which was challenging but rewarding and beautiful. He actually married a hippie couple on Mt. Tam! Good time keep rolling along, Rick. Love ya, Sister Peg