Friday, May 04, 2007

Warriors Win Series!

I thought I'd never see it again after being a Warrior fan as far back as can remember. Last night the Warriors, an 8 seed, beat Dallas, a 1 seed. The Mavericks were defending Western Conference Champions and owner of the best record in the league with 67 wins. By comparison the Warriors won 42 after overcoming many injuries plus a big mid-season trade and a hot streak toward the end. Golden State hadn't been in the playoffs since 1994 (13 years ago) and hadn't won a single playoff game since 1991. I was there.

As an employee of Franklin Mieuli & Associates, I had first hand access to the team since Franklin was an owner for over 30 years. I came to San Francisco in January 1989 for a theatre internship and quickly learned I'd need a real job. Six months later I answered an ad in the Chronicle for an "Office Assistant" for a job at The Media Bldg., which sounded good. I knew who Franklin was from my younger years as a sports fan and through my brother Kenny. I worked for FM&A and Hi-Speed Tape for 10 years eventually becoming Office Manager, doing sales and running the sports broadcast operations. One of our biggest clients were the Warriors and I booked all their road radio engineering services as well as local engineers for the visiting teams who came to Oakland.

As a result of this close connection I had access to a press pass, parties and often some great seats. I used to take my brothers, friends and even dates. In those early years we were pretty good, winning 50 games one of those seasons. Franklin sold his final interest in the team around then. Soon we became the butt of the league and were notorious for bad trades and injuries. We couldn't win many to save our lives. I worked for Mieuli's full time until 1999 and later became a consultant, as well as returning twice to help with some transitions.

Today, Franklin still attends games in his familiar courtside seat and I watch from home (sometimes on DVR). As you can imagine, I couldn't be more pleased.

Bring on the next series. Go Warriors! Do Believe!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for filling me in, I thought I saw something about Warriors, and now I know why...thanks Ricky! I'm sure Don Nelson has something to do with it, huh? Go Warriors! GOOD LUCK-
Anita

Anonymous said...

Anita,
Something? This is the biggest sports story in the country at the moment. Yes, Nellie has turned this team around...as has Chris Mullin as the main front office guy. Now we play Utah (there's no jazz in Salt Lake City).-Rick