Saturday, November 10, 2007

5 Years After David's Death

5 years after David’s death

Today I was looking through old journals and found a letter Altie wrote to his father, at Christmas, a month after David died. It was so powerful and heartbreaking I started to cry. I wanted to keep reading but I could no longer see the words through my tears so I had to stop.

It will have been 5 years this coming weekend since David died. Five years of his presence being felt in so many situations, guiding so many who loved him, through troubles and triumphs. We feel sad that he misses life events, especially the birth of Altie and Rachelle’s new sons, Amari and Elijah and Terrica’s baby Leila. But he will live forever in our hearts.

Peggy and Altie have gathered up the pieces of their shattered lives from that horrid day in November when David was cruelly snatched away from them. Courageously they fought the pain and have taken back their lives in a solid, purposeful and even serene way. They have become role models for the rest of us in how to cope with loss. I often hear Peggy comment when good things happen, “I feel blessed”. I know she enjoys the sounds of grandchildren filling her home with warmth.

On this fifth anniversary, I honor David by sending my love to all those he touched in life, especially my Peggy and her growing family--Altie, Rachelle and the three boys; and the Marylands--Terrica, Rob, Ariana, and Leila. His logo has become a heart with wings. I see the wings of David’s heart hovering over in a protective way making sure God watches over you all.

Thinking of you with love on this anniversary,
Susy
11-7-2007

6 comments:

Rick Warren said...

Susy,
You put this so well, and I feel blessed to use my blog as a forum for such feelings.
I miss David tremendously but am also thankful for Peggy's strength. I'm also grateful when I think of Altie's words at the memorial "you know what he would say." I often do, and if not search for what his wisdom would be in each given situation.
I'm also reminded of Dad and Mom's wedding anniversary date today, and how those events collided in '02.
Peace, Love and Happiness,
Rick

Anonymous said...

Susy,
Thanks for your beautiful thoughts about David as well as Peggy, Altie and the extended family. We will honor David tonight at Peggy's. I get strength from Peggy and Altie and it's such a joy to be around the grandkids. They are beautiful little souls and blessed by a wonderful guardian angel, Grandpa David. God Bless Mom & Dad for marrying 62 yrs. ago today and having all of us to love and support each other in good times and in sorrow.
Celebrate the Love,
Maria

diane said...

Rick, I happen to be surfing the net for Cronin/Sanchez family history, I entered "Ceferina Martin" and found your website . . .connected to Nana on the web! Amazing. . . You have quite a site. . .Best wishes to all. Love, Diane (Cronin)

Anonymous said...

Today,Nicki, Alana & I helped Susy with her art booth at a Crafts Fair. It was nice to be with Family today as we search for unique Christmas gifts and wonderful ideas for crafting. We met another elder lady who was celebrating her 84th birthday. Just seems that these ladies remind us of "mom" and celebrating David's message wherever we go. All our love! =Anita

kevin said...

I went with Altie to Muir Woods on Saturday. We hiked in the rain and partly in the dark. We called out very strongly, while looking up through the Giant Redwoods up to the heavens it seemed. "DAVID WE LOVE YOU!" "GRANDMA WE LOVE YOU! And for Aunt Willa and Gerry Ford as well. Altie kept talking about what a blessing the boys are, and how thankful he was for all David taught him about his love of nature. The rain would not have deterred David either, as he taught Rick and Altie (then 12) on their northern California bike trip.
love to all,
Kevin

Rick Warren said...

Diane,
Great to hear from you. Glad you found this site. Make sure to stay in touch as we plan another family reunion want to keep the Cronin's in the loop. Saw Auntie Marian over the weekend, she is doing real well and looks great.
-Rick
rwmwarren@comcast.net