Thursday, August 31, 2006

Vin's friend George shares experience of loss

When my mother died a psychiatrist I was working with at the time said something to me that resonated with my experience. He said that our relationships with our mothers start before we are born and so it begins at a time when there are no words to describe the relationship, especially the dependency part of it. So, when our mother is gone there is a way, impossible to express in words, in which we are alone in the world. Even though the days when my mother was taking care of me were far in the past, and even though, if anything I was now taking care of her, there was a feeling of loneliness and insecurity that I felt when she died...it seemed like something to share because it helped me deal with some of the kind of surprising feelings that I went through all those many years ago.
-George

No comments: