Monday, October 30, 2006

No Rest for the Weary

I've been too busy to post to my blog of late. In the midst of the 24th annual San Francisco Jazz Festival, while simultaneously working at KQED more of late, I have little time for much else but work work work. Today, my only day off from The Festival, I did a full shift at the Q, as we call it. It hasn't been all bad I've been lucky enough to witness some genius musicians, included the great latin showman Arturo Sandoval as well as Sonny Rollins and many others while on breaks. Honestly though, when asked about the music I often admit that I am too busy working to actually enjoy it, even if I hear a song or two it's with my mind elsewhere usually. Our concerts range from intimate solo piano concerts to full fledged jazz funk bands like Meshell Ndgeocello.

Back at it for week 3 with 11 concerts in 5 days, I have something to do with each of them, but will be physically working the Front of House for 8 of them including a rare appearance by Alice Coltrane, John's widow.

The Festival ends Nov. 12, and I look foward to a few days off after where Gia and I will get away to a secret location followed shortly after by a trip to San Diego for Thanksgiving weekend with my Dad and brother Ken. Looking foward to seeing family and going to a warmer climate, as the winter has seemed to arrive today in SF, just after the time change.

Halloween will include a staff meeting, production meeting, basketball game (I'm in a league now) and maybe a quick visit to nearby Castro Street to gawk at the 10's of thousands of revelars.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rick,
Hello, Mr. "front of house". I learned what you do reading this. Sounds like good music but mostly in your peripheral hearing as you are so busy. And a secret getaway? Is that how you keep it exciting? Good for you and G. Way looking forward to seeing you next month in San Diego. Will try to keep it warm for you. Gotta go to bed, now, JoJo.
Sis S

Anonymous said...

Hey Rick, your blog should be called a day in the life, a week in the life or a month in the life of Rick Warren. Looking fwd. to seeing you on Thanksgiving weekend.
Sister 7, Anita