Thursday, April 26, 2007

American Idol + PBS = AIDS/LifeCycle

What does American Idol(AI), PBS (for which I occassionally work for SF affiliate KQED) and AIDS/LifeCycle have in common?

Well if you watched AI last night (and I'm not referring to high scoring Denver Nugget Allen Iverson) you may have a hint at that which I speak. During the popular show, featuring the final 6 contestants, dubbed "Idol Gives Back" they showed the plight of AIDS and poverty in Africa and America in a two-hour pledge drive format. Bringing it to you were the likes of Madonna, Bono, Celine, Ellen and even Elvis-who needs a last name with all that star power.

Without the fancy editing and marketing dollars that's essentially what we're doing as participants benifitting the San Francisco AIDS Foundation. Asking for your help here (www.sfaf.org) and in Africa through the Pangaea Global AIDS Foundation.

Did you give your dollars to American Idol last night? If you're answer is Yes, good for you. No? Well then, can I have a few. I'm $900 away from reaching the minimum with one month to go. Please don't let me get "voted" off or I'll be working the plege drive at KQED in early June instead of riding to La-La Land.

Peace & Love,
Rick

No comments: