Sunday, April 29, 2007

Susy sends message from the old country

From Anita:
Yesterday I received a call from SUSY in SPAIN. She wanted to let you all know what a great time she is having and really enjoing being in Spain with Steve. Auntie Marian had given her a picture of Uncle Frank in front of a building (house) which belongs to Nana's relatives (I think nephew). The most she hoped for was to just see the house, but instead she ran into many relatives who own a bakery. They were very sweet to her & Steve. So hospitable! They looked at her pictures on her bag I gave her at Christmastime and there was a picture of CEFE. She told them that is "Cefe" named after "Ceferina". They were thrilled and Susy cried. When they left they handed her 2 boxes, which she assumed was pastries but had no idea what kind. When they got back to the hotel at midnight, she opened one up and what do you think was in there:

BOYOS, CHOKERS, Montecados “Spanish Cookie” or “Nana’s Cookies."

She was so thrilled and just had to call me but wanted me to relay the message. I told her to get the recipe, so she told me what they wrote, it was in spanish but read something like "Vino Blanca", "Mantecados", "Azucar", and I'm not sure what else. She did say that they didn't smell like anise or have that flavor so I'm interested to find out where that came from. It's so great. Tradition.

No comments: