Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Ramona Warren's Eulogy

On July 26, 2006 my dear Mom passed away. Here is her eulogy, most of which was written within the hour before the mass:

Funeral Mass/Celebration of Life - July 29, 2006
By Rick Warren

Fr. Rudy introduces: “Now we’ll have comments from Ramona’s youngest child."

I’ll start by saying my brother Sean told me, “I know Wes and you’re no Wes.”
-PAUSE-
Ramona was born to Mariano and Ceferina (Martin) Sanchez in Hollister, California at a vineyard in the Cienega Area. Today it’s known as Almaden Vineyard I believe. Her parents were both born near Salamanca, Spain and married in Hawaii. Her gentle father was a farmer and her mother a midwife. She inherited their strong sense of faith and family. Although she was named after her eldest Aunt “Romana”, for most of her life she was referred to as Ramona. She was a parishioner right here at Sacred Heart her entire life where she was honored for having children in the school for 28 years.

As a young adult after moving to Salinas to work with her older brother Frank she lived for a time in San Francisco (where Sean, Kevin and I live now) and worked for the Sullivan family taking care of their children and went on to business school downtown (she’d want you to know that). She joined the Young Christian Workers (YCW) where she met a guy named Wesley Warren of San Francisco they became Co-President together. They married at St. Boniface Church when Wes came home from the Navy after WWII. Mom said, “On our wedding day I knew I would have 12 children, and that’s what I did.”

Through 60 years of marriage, she was a hard working homemaker and active in her community (as Sean said), teaching catechism, counseling, volunteering at the Compassion Pregnancy Services and ministering right here at this very parish.

An advocate of a new church since she knew this one would be outgrown long before St. Benedicts broke ground, she was so proud when it did.

When I was in 8th grade, just across the parking lot, they gave her an award for all the years of service and this 13 year old was naturally embarrassed. But I remember getting over it and we had our first dance – she never stopped talking about the light blue jacket I wore that day and for years after. My sisters are still making sure I wear the right colors…I hope I’ve improved my wardrobe some.

I recall a time Dad, Mom, Sean and I took a trip to Vancouver, BC and Victoria and Mom sat in the back seat of the car the entire trip. But only because we all had longer legs. She was not a backseat kinda woman.

One time I preached at my church in San Francisco about Mother Mary taking care of her son Jesus when he fell as a boy. Like Mary, Mom tirelessly helped her children. She probably holds the world record for most dishes done, with the water so hot we couldn’t bear to reach in and touch it [gesturing to sibs]. No doubt she washed more diapers and did more dirty laundry than anyone except maybe the Carotas, who had 22 kids. Of which her Dr. Ben is one son. Thank you, Ben. To her final weeks she picked up after us.

Our family can be loud – and even until the last years she could hear everything. My sibs and I can probably each recall a time when a small backyard conversation was reiterated back to us maybe weeks later. She was always listening.

She liked to make stuffed bell peppers and huge lasagna plates – Auntie Marian still talks about the huge platters. Our house is currently full of those now thanks to all for your generosity.

Many of you were at Mom and Dad’s 50th wedding anniversary celebration right here-we had a mass not unlike this one and a party in the gym. 300 showed and she was so happy to have all her family and greater family there – especially all of her cousins. And we thought Dad was the party goer.

Kevin asked me to mention that he recalls during the 1970’s when she used to say to the girls, “you’re not gonna wear that” - especially to Anita. Anita wore her wedding dress 55 years later. She was so proud of her.

When things got hectic – to keep us in line she would tap us on the back of the hip or back and say “tross tross.” Meaning: come on.

Just this week we fussed over the program for this mass – trying to get it just right. I could hear Mom say, “don’t fuss so much.”

We all have charisms. Charisms are our God given gifts which have been so evident today and this week. From Kevin, the caretaker, to Rayna with the beautiful voice not unlike Mom’s sister Annie’s, who sang in this very church. I recall many times her voice singing “Ave Maria” from the balcony. Each of us have shared our own gifts this week.

In 1981 Mom said, “God has really blessed us. Our life has been very special.” -- Indeed it has and will remain.

God Bless you all.

No comments: