Friday, October 05, 2007

10 sibs, 10 days: Hollister-Sacramento

Before today, 5 down, 5 to go. Now in Sacramento and having spent the evening here with Peggy only 4 await. I wonder if Kevin and Sean will be available.

Had a great day today with Dad and Josefa. We went to replace the remote control (finally) at the Gilroy store and then proceeded to quiet San Jaun Bautista for a german lunch. It was terrific and we enjoyed weiners, sauerkraut and beer on tap. We walked around main street and the Mission nearly 50 years to the day when Vertigo, which was film in part there, was released. After some refection we realized Josefa who was born that year may not have been in tow with Dad, Mom, Kenny and the Twins since filming was likely the year before. When I asked Dad if he wanted to go see Jimmy Stewart, he said, "no, but I'd like to see Kim Novak, she's still younger than me." The story goes that when they were here in '57 Dad went up to Stewart chatted about them both having sets of twins and asked for an autograph. Stewart double checked the back to make sure he wasn't signing a check and was gracious. Novak was more private and sat seperately. Joey and I agreed it was time to revisit the Hitchcock classic. SJB was having several film related events this weekend and we were there before all the action in the sleepy tourist town.

Later we visited the St. Francis Retreat Center and had fond memories of the retreats and events we'd attended. There was a priest retreat going on and we witnessed the grounds post '06 fire, a first for me. Did some gift shop buying and headed home. I took several pictures and some video clips I'll share later.

Nice to be in Sac. and hang with Peggy, Altie and Amari tonight and just watch TV which I haven't done much of this week. Amari is adorable and very loving. Tomorrow Peggy has dinner plans for the entire family here and I look forward to seeing everyone including Elijah for the first time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is so nice to see Dad "get out", you and Joey do a great job at that.
I just told Samara, maybe we should rent The Birds, because Robin was talking about it. Remember Rick, I said, "was The Birds filmed in SJB". But you had it right, it was "Vertigo". Have a great weekend.
_anita

Anonymous said...

I went to see Vertigo filmed too. I was seven. I remember standing on the lawn near the Mission and watching Kim Novak go in and out, in and out, of the door to the tower, as they did many takes of the same short scene. The Tower scene is the scariest in the movie. OOOH-see it if you haven't!
Snoozie

Anonymous said...

Anita, " The Birds" were filmed in Bodega Bay as we used to go there since it was close to Occidental & C.Y.O. camp. I love the movie Vertigo & Nano's trees are in the movie !! It's been ages since I've seen that movie but it sure would be great to rent or buy it. I remember Dad's story about his meeting Jimmy Stewart & of course Dad is kind of like him. Susy I didn't know you were there & got to see Kim Novak. Hitchcock was the best for suspenseful movies! Cefe

Rick Warren said...

Anyone remember my "Jimmy Stewart as Wes" skit for Christmas one year. It was based on the poem Stewart did on Johnny Carson titled "My Dog Heidi." Was intentionally incoherent as Stewart was getting old and didn't make much sense. But I think you sisters got emotional.