Sunday, October 07, 2007

10 sibs, 10 days: Wrap-Up

Finished my sibling tour of California on Saturday night. What a trip it was.

Travelled about 1300 miles, slept over 8 nights, saw 9 siblings (didn't catch up with Sean yet, ironically, even though we live in the same town), 6 out-laws, 10 nephews/nieces, 5 great nephews/nieces and Dad.

Overall I fell thankful for a safe trip, one with little drama and much visiting including lots of listening and sharing. It was a very positive experience and I am rejuvinated to be back home. I billed this as 10 sibs and it was so much more - including seeing all the extended family and some friends along the way. I feel blessed, lucky and unique. Who else can say they have family all up and down California and lay claim to such an adventure. Someone asked me what the impetuous for this was and I didn't have the chance to respond. This came about when I got to thinking what kind of vacation I wanted to have, while Gia needed to work, that wouldn't cost too much and would include people that I love. It was all that and more.

Great moments included but weren't limited to the following:
Cozy Cup with Dad
Watching the sunset in Tujunga
Dinner out with Bonny and John
Playing with Jade
Distributing wine, beer, dried 'cots and artichokes (while they lasted)
Having lunch with Alana at her school
Hanging with Anita in the middle of the "work" day
Movie Night! at the Horton's
When Susy's student said, "Are you the 10 sibs, 10 days brother?"
Late night cafe drinks with Steve and Susy
Chai lattes with Steve near the beach
Laughing with Susy over the way Thich Naht Hahn drank his water (mindfully)
Travelling on a beautiful dirt road near Panoche to Hollister
Catching a glimpse of Kenny riding his new bike to the cannery in the early morning
Walking around and having lunch in San Juan with Dad and Joey
Joking around with tall Johan
Fixing the remote control in Hollister
Shooting hoops with Altie
Seeing Altie and Rachelle do well at co-parenting
Watching, for the first time, as Elijah opened his blue eyes
Listening to Amari call me "Uncky" and say "I wuv you"
Sharing stories and eating lunch with Peggy at the mall
Ham dinner with all the Sacto gang (including Terrica, Ariana, Laila)
Finding out about Rivianna being cast in 3 plays
Watching Carson play soccer
Videotaping Maria yelling "Go Dragon Fire!"
Hearing Cefe jiggle over breakfast
Slipping Quinlan a 5-spot
Hitting golf balls with Kevin
Coming home to Gia

Thank you to everyone for being so gracious with your homes, for cooking, sharing your lives and for all your love. I LOVE YOU! Now come visit me (I have free Jazz tickets).

Look for a new multiple choice questionnaire based on this trip coming soon to a blog near you.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved the wrap-up tales. They were sweet, funny, touching. Steve and I went to Deer Park Monastery near Anita's for the first time today and listened to your buddy Thich Naht Hanh again. After his speech he seemed to be searching the crowd and when his eyes landed on Steve and I sitting on our brown meditation mats he asked, "Where's the ten sibs in ten days brother?"
I am so glad you chose this special way to vacation, allowing all of us sibs and extended family to be your companions on the path these last ten days. Love,#4

Rick Warren said...

Thanks Susy and say hi to Thay for me.

Anonymous said...

Had a great time while you were here, hopefully next time the kitchen will be done, but I don't hold my breath...Granite finishes in today. Hope you & Gia can make it for Thanksgiving!!!! Love, Anita

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for plugging me!

And remember, you've still got to hook that Horatio guy up with Jazz tickets. :D

-Rivianna

Rick Warren said...

Rivi, you're funny...I did forget but he'll be in touch when he wants to hear his version of Patty LuPone.

Anita, thanks and good luck with finishing touches on the kitchen. We won't be coming for T-giving.

Anonymous said...

Ricky, Instead of reading about your trip each day I read it all today & it was so interesting I even skipped watching "The View". I'm glad you had such a great time on your trip. We did too. Instead of "Into the Wild" it's "Onto the Road". Much love , Cefe

Anonymous said...

"Somebody asked me what the impetuous was for this and I didn't have a chance to respond..."
I couldn't let this misspelling pass, Rick. I kept saying you did not give us much notice and you kept saying you did. (Not that I mind, mi es tu case siempre) So this is Freudian--you said "impetuous" meaning quickly and without much forethought, and you (think) you meant to say "impetus" as in driving force.
What do you think of that?
Susy

Anonymous said...

I guess I can't spell either. I meant "mi casa es tu casa, siempre."
Gracias y buenos noches mi hermano,
Apparently, esta blog de usted es mas interesante than "The View" and reality tv programs. I'd probably agree if I ever watched television. Although I did see Patti Lapone on an episode of tv show, "Ugly Betty", we rented. And I only know who she on account of her being Rivianna's favorite on a previous blog quiz on music, and I had to check out her website. So these blogs can be educational. You can get spelling tips and I can learn who the hottest people in theatre are! Adios,
VS

Anonymous said...

I mean, "Mi casa es su casa". Will I ever get this right? Maybe my house is NOT your house, but you really were welcome, are welcome, and will be welcome, even if i keep getting the Spanish a little wrong.
Love,
Susy

Rick Warren said...

Vin,
Yo no hablo mucho. Been saying that for years. None-the-less Barcelona is mi ciudad favarito (outside of San Francisco) y yo hablo tapas. Spanish enough? As for spelling impetus wrong I blame that on you, since you have me so concerned that I use spell check sometimes and they steered me in the wrong direction. A blog is a blog, not meant for perfecto english hermana.