Tuesday, October 02, 2007

10 sibs, 10 days: USD

On the campus of Univ. of San Diego, the beautiful Catholic one on the hill. With Steve and Susy, just finished the talk by Thich Naht Hahn. It was a wonderful speech, one lesson we all appreciated was about holding your anger and fear close to your heart like a woman would hold her child. He also spoke about how psychotherapists can only deeply listen when they have compassion for their own suffering, which was fitting for Susy.

Now were in living in the moment, as the great "Thay" (teacher) preached, so we're enjoying hot drinks in the campus cafe full of students at 10pm while composing this.

Started my day at Nini's and had lunch with Alana at her school. It was quite different than the experiences that I'm used to living in my SF-Haight Ashbury-Adult-Gia-BMW (bike, Muni, walk - as Steve just said - see still in the moment).

Spent some time at the beach, alone, napping, reading, swimming the cold Pacific before having dinner at Schroeters of salmon and zucchini salad.

I felt a little like I knew people when after the lecture we ran into a student of Susy's who asked if I was the famous "10 sibs" brother. She got this information when Susy told my story about visiting 10 sibs in 10 days during her lecture on stress-hardiness yesterday.

5 comments:

Stephen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephen said...

Uncel, I so enjoyed spending time with you and the soozmeistser, imbibing on the "warren-borg in miniature" vibe. It was great the we could convince you to spend another day and listen to Thay.

Anonymous said...

Rick,
Steve has a new name for you, "Fresh Prince of Haight-Ashbury". You bring such openness and enthusiasm to your adventures, you are funny and a delight to be around. So when you left this morning I felt sad, like some of the high spiritedness in the world left with you. May you continue to light up the other lives you touch this week on the Warren-borg tour of California.
Love,
Susy

Anonymous said...

Rick,
I'm glad you had so much fun in San Diego. You bring such joy and happiness to your sibs. It has been quiet at home without you, so hurry home.
Selfish Gia

Rick Warren said...

Oh, now I'm gonna cry after all the nice things said of me. I have especially been cogniscent of being mindful of what I have and trying to enjoy the moments since hearing Thich Naht Hahn. That wild drive over Panoche was really powerful. Miss you Gia, and will be arguing with you at home soon enough...LOL. S&S, thanks for the comments.